Karnataka: 8-year-old ragpicker electrocuted after pulling transformer wire

author img

By ETV Bharat English Desk

Published : Jan 18, 2024, 5:13 PM IST

Karnataka: 8-year-old ragpicker electrocuted after pulling transformer wire

BESCOM clarified that the accident did not occur due to their negligence. The boy pulled a guy wire of the transformer that came in contact with the electrical circuit following which, the boy was electrocuted, BESCOM officials said.

Chikkaballapur (Karnataka): An eight-year-old ragpicker got electrocuted by a wire hanging around a transformer adjacent to a drain near Manchenahalli in Gouribidanur taluk of Karnataka's Chikkaballapur district on Thursday, police said.

The kid, identified as Nagendra, was picking rags when he accidentally pulled a guy wire connected to the transformer this morning. He instantly fell down on the road and succumbed to his injuries on the spot.

Local people found the boy lying near the transformer and informed the Bengaluru Electricity Supply Company Limited (BESCOM) officials. BESCOM officials reached the accident spot and ordered an inquiry by the electrical inspectorate.

They clarified that the accident did not occur due to BESCOM's negligence. "When the boy pulled the guy wire it came in contact with the electrical circuit and he was electrocuted," officials added.

Action will be taken after the report of the inspectorate is submitted, an official said. A BESCOM official, who visited the spot said that the construction work of the Chikkaballapur-Gauribidanur national highway and a drain repairing work are underway near the transformer. It is likely that the boy pulled the wire around the transformer from across the side of the drain, he said.

Two months back, a woman and her nine-month-old baby were electrocuted on the footpath in Bengaluru after stepping on to a live wire. Five BESCOM Officials were suspended for negligence.

Read more

  1. Fatal accident mars Yash's birthday celebration, three electrocuted in Karnataka
  2. Woman, nine-month-old daughter electrocuted in Bengaluru footpath, FIR lodged against BECOM
  3. Sikkimese man who died while saving villagers during flash floods hailed as a hero
ETV Bharat Logo

Copyright © 2024 Ushodaya Enterprises Pvt. Ltd., All Rights Reserved.